Since moving to the country, we've found the laidback South Burnett lifestyle very conducive to impromptu get-togethers with family and friends.
Picnics, barbecues and parties are so much easier when the weather is kind and the lifestyle is relaxed.
I try to keep treats in the pantry and fridge for when people unexpectedly pop by, and have ready-to- throw-together snacks on hand. When the weekend approaches, Harmonie warns: 'Mum, we better clean the house. We live in the country now ..." meaning we are getting used to people dropping by on the off-chance we are home.
Healthy snacks. Photo: Chase Baxter
An impromptu after school picnic in the backyard ...
Food tastes better when eaten outside
And shared with a friend ...
Latecomers are welcome
Recently, Wonderful Pistachios sent MIA a fabulous party pack to make our get-togethers easier.
There were cute retro straws and napkins, deco tea light holders and candles, and a stylish beverage bucket.
They also included some packs of their aptly-named Wonderful Pistachios to try: Roasted and Salted, Salt and Pepper, Sweet Chilli, and Unsalted.
Now, regular readers will know my son Chase has tree nut allergies, so we had to save these for a girlie afternoon tea party for when he was away at camp. (Even though he knows to avoid them, we don't even serve nuts when he is around).
They were declared yummy by the nut lovers, who were happy to take home the leftovers so we didn't have any in the house when Chase came home.
Pistachios are apparently a perfect food to serve at parties
* Along with being one of the lowest kilojoule and among the highest protein nuts, a 30-gram serving of pistachios provides more than 30 different nutrients, vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients.
* Keeping your leftover pistachio shells might help you eat less. Scientific evidence suggests that leftover shells may serve an important visual cue about the amount that has been consumed.
* Stuck for a party colour to theme the room? Try green! It’s a great colour as it directly relates to nature and freshness. Buy fluorescent green straws to funk up cocktails on arrival, dark green napkins for elegance and have green tea lights scattered around the area to create a natural ambience.
* Wonderful Pistachios are harvested in orchards where they are sun-ripened, 100 percent naturally opened and dry roasted without any added oil.
* Be adventurous with what you pair it with. The green nut may be small but it’s big in flavour. Sun-ripened Wonderful Pistachios match perfectly with other snacks such as wasabi peas, soy crisps, chevre goats cheese and Italian meats. Check out food pairing ideas or make up your own!
* In a rush? Wonderful Pistachios come in premium, stylish packaging, so if you don’t have time to grab a bowl, the 250g package looks great on a party table and there’s enough to share around.
Thanks to Wonderful Pistachios, I have three prize packs to giveaway. These include a groovy pistachio bowl set. The flavours are Sweet Chili, Unsalted, Salt & Pepper, and Roasted & Salted. To enter, simply leave a comment sharing your favourite party tip. The winner will be drawn on Monday, October 14 at 5 pm.
The competition has closed and the winners are sapna, Jess Hardy and Amber Boyce. Please contact me so we can send out your prizes. Thanks.